About Groruddalen

Groruddalen, was formed by a mudslide for around 8,000 years ago. It was a journalist and newly established editor, emigrated from Egersund, Hjalmar Kielland who really started this name in use. In 1958 he took over the local newspaper, "Akers Well" and called it "Akers Avis". In 1960 he added "Groruddalens Budstikke". After that, the paper was renamed "Akers Avis / Groruddalens Budstikke." Later the name was tightened and called today: Akers Avis / Groruddalen. The name change in 1960 was thus impacts on the name of the area that today comprises the districts of Alna, Bjerke, Grorud and Stovner.

Most of Ammerud buildings and Rødtvet, and the first satellite towns along the south side of the valley, Tveita and Haugerud, came in 1960. 1970s and 1980s residential buildings of Differences extended further to the north and east: Romsås, Vestliveien and Stovner on the one side, Furuset and Lindeberg on the other. In the 1980s, more than a quarter of the population of Oslo lived in Groruddalen.

From small houses to blocks of flats and suburbs

In the 1950s a substantial residential property development took place. Early in the decade, half of the new homes vere still houses. In the latter half of the 1950s, the proportion of flats vere greatly encreased. Block buildings was seen divided into two main groups, the open block houses and suburbs.


The open block settlement in Groruddalen vere mainly built from about 1947 to the late 1950s. They vere usually three or four floors, and vere elongated, narrow and well aparted and they had plenty of green areas around. (Photo: unknown/Oslo byarkiv).

After the Second World War, the residences - designed by theories on how to "live right" - was based on residential surveys conducted by the Oslo Heritage Society (Oslo Bys Vel). Interior designers, and even psychologists, influenced the design of residential ideals. Hygiene- and mental hygiene principles were applied. The blocks should be placed in terms of best possible access of light, and was relatively narrow to provide transmitted apartments. A family should at least have a three-room apartment.

Open block of flats came first in the lower parts of Groruddalen and areas nearest to town centre (Mölndal, Keyserløkka, Ensjø, Valle Hovin, Lilleberg, Tonsenhagen, Årvoll, Kalbakken, Ulven and Teisen).

In connection with the merger of Aker and Oslo in 1948, a revision of the General Plan from 1934 was prepared. This was published in 1950, but it did not differ much from the 1934 plan. However,now the focus was placed on "sub-center principle," or the so-called "satelite town" principle. The idea of ??satelite towns were brought from England and involved planning community with housing, local service centers, schools, kindergartens, shops, post office and bank.

Between the suburbs it should be green spaces. Basically, the center of the suburb, the blocks, then townhouses and outerly villa buildings.

Eventually the Suburbs should be characterized with high blocks that housed far more people than the former residential buildings.

Groruddalen school (Groruddalen skole)

Groruddalen Groruddalenskole

The school was built in 1938 and named it "Grorud higher public school" (Grorud høyere almennskole). In 1968 the secondary school (ungdomsskolen) was introduced in Oslo, and the school was named "Groruddalen school". There vere still high school classes at school but they moved to "Bredtvet high school" in 1972. In the 70's the school had students from Furuset, Høybråten, Romsås, Ammerud and Rødtvet before these regions got their own high schools. (Photo: unknown).

When the surrounding areas got their own high schools, the number of pupils at the school decreased, and it was decided that the school should be closed down and secondary schools transferred to Nordtvet school. This became thus a combined primary and secondary school. The first secondary school classes started at Nordtvet in 1983 Latest litter on the Groruddalen secondary School joined in spring 1985.

Grorud Hardware Factory (Grorud Jernvarefabrikk)


Close by Groruddalen school, at East Aker road (Østre Aker vei) was A/S Grorud Hardware Factory founded in 1920. The company was placed here because of its proximity to Grorud station, and the hardware factory was given access to a private railway track close by the station. The company produced the building fittings, sofa springs and locks.

Grorud Railway Workshop (Grorud Jernbaneverksted)


In 1917 NSB bought the farm "Store Nyland" and the croft "Lille Nyland". These were previously separated from Bredtvet farm. In 1927, it built a forge and a boiler house with carpentry workshop. The decision to build a locomotive workshop was taken in the 1930s, and in 1938 the architects O. Aubert and G. Hoel subscribed a large plant of approximately 12,000 sqm. It should take many years before the buildings were completed, partly because of material shortages during the war. In 1943 was the workshop ready for operation, completed by the Germans who had requisitioned the half-built workshop. During the war Nyland was influenced by military activity and it was built a number of "German barracks".(Photo: Leif Ørnelund/Oslo byarkiv)

In the 1950s and 1960s, the plant expanded several times. In 1964 the coach workshop and in 1967 with office and welfare building. The plant represents several stages and is interesting both in architectural and cultural context.

Hagstrøm Guitar Factory ("Gitarfabrikken")

Groruddalen GroruddalenHag

"The Guitar Factory": Hagstrøm Music rented this barn building on Ammerud from September 1946. After reconstruction of the premises for approximately 70,000 NOK production could start in May 1947. In connection with the 25th anniversary of Hagstrøm in Oslo in 1953, the Swedish personal newspaper "Stämman" wrote that: The factory until then had delivered 25,000 string instrument, mainly guitars, but also some ukuleles, mandolins and basses. In 1953 there were 23 employees and an annual production of about 5,000 instrument. The factory at Ammerud existed for 15 years and it was produced over 60,000 guitars and other stringed instruments. In spring 1962 production was adopted abandoned because of ".. unfavorable competitive conditions of trade and the declining interest in the kind of guitar that we were able to fabricate ..." and in March 1963 it was definitely over. (Photo: unknown).

Share a Comment

If you have stories, pictures etc. from the period 1960-1999 that fits in with the contain on these pages, then use the e-mail below.


This WEB area contains a mixture of facts and poor humor. If you did not see that at first glance - go back to startpage by clicking here: